How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71056
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

A relationship I have been in . 10 months ended earlier

Customer Question

A relationship I have been in for approx. 10 months ended earlier this week. The man in question had some items of clothing at my house and also had left his Passport and his application for a new one . A few months ago I had loaned him some money and for the last few weeks he had been repaying me......£70 remains outstanding.
I had suggested that we meet at a neutral public place and exchange his possessions for my £70. He as refused and instead as been bombarding me with text messages.....some of which I have felt threatened by.
The top and bottom of it is that he does not want to repay the £70 even though he knows he owes it.
He as now told me that he intends to come to my place of work at 8.20 on Tuesday to collect his belongings and in his words "give me a scene".
I am very concerned about my job and my well being. I feel intimidated and don't know what to do.
Can you advise?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
You do obviously have to give him his property back. If he won't meet you at a neutral place you can always put it in the post to him. You don't have to meet him at work and I wouldn't do so. If he turns up then just refuse to see him.
You can always sue him for the £70 at the small claims court. It won't come to that though. He will pay as soon as you issue.
In terms of the texts, you do really need to sort these issues out with him but when that is done then I would suggest just getting your provider to block his number. If you put the property in the post to him and write to him at his new address about the £70 you could place a block upon his number now.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I obviously don't want a scene at work. He's the type of person who would cause one. Is there no way I could stop him from going there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I sue him in the small claims court?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Not really.

I suppose you could seek an emergency injunction but that would cost several thousands of pounds and you might not get it as his argument will be that he just wants to collect goods.

An obvious alternative is to deliver him everthing this weekend and then he has no reason to come to your workplace.