How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35086
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am divorced years and my wife received 83% of the

This answer was rated:

I am divorced for eight years and my wife received 83% of the financial settlement so that she could buy a house for herself and my 2 children without debt. Now 8 years later she has wrung the benefits system dry of all the money she had been claiming for the boys as they are nearing 17 and 18 now, she plans to sell the house, and live from the proceeds, and the boys have now had to come a be resident with me. Can I go back to court on behalf of the boys for any share from the sale of the house.
I don't own a house and we are having to rent, which I can only just about afford. I wonder whether any monies can be held in trust for the boys and a house can be purchased in their name.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help youI am afraid that there is no basis on which you can now change the settlement that was made eight years ago.The children are nearly adults and the house is hers to do with as she wishes.I am very sorry to have to give you bad news - but there is no point in my misleading you in any way.Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


I am aware that I cannot make an application due to the agreed settlement. I was asking whether the children can make an application.

Many Thanks


My apologies - no I am afraid the children have no claim on the funds at allClare
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you