How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1370
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

Morning, I have recently purchased a property with my partner

Customer Question

Morning, I have recently purchased a property with my partner by means of a mortgage and my mother has contributed by cash. My mother has no legal rights to the property as she signed the property over to my and the deeds are in my name. During the last few months my mother has become abusive both verbally and physically to my niece who's is 6 and also lives with us and whist I tried to defends my niece on Monday my mother has in return attacked me. We have been given legal responsibility to my niece by social services and she is not allowed to be left alone with her. They have also asked her to leave the property. She has since returned and been verbally abusive again. Can I change the locks as myself, social services and my partner are all concerned for her mental state of health. ??? Thanks Sarah
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
I am sorry to hear about your current circumstances and the difficulties that you are experiencing with your mother.
If your mother is not a legal owner of the property (named on the deeds) then you can change the locks.
It may be in the future that your mother seeks to make a claim under the trust of land act for an interest in the property. Your mother may argue that the money she paid was not a gift.
If your mother was to make such a claim and given what you have said about your mothers recent abusive behaviour - you may be able to get legal aid and a solicitor to help you. Check out the guidance on the Justice website about domestic violence evidence - which is now required to get legal aid. If your mother hasn't been charged with an offence then look at the GP letter. Take this to your GP and explain what is happening. If your GP is satisfied that you are suffering with a condition such as stress as a result of your mothers behaviour and they complete the letter - then take it to a legal aid solicitor so they can assess you.
Kind regards
Please kindly remember to rate positively. No credit is received for our work unless positive feedback is received.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Please kindly remember to rate positively - your question will not close and I can answer your follow up questions for free