How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My fridge/freezer broke down on Aug 29th. The manufacturer's

This answer was rated:

My fridge/freezer broke down on Aug 29th. The manufacturer's engineer confirmed that it was beyond repair and should be replaced under the terms of the warranty. The machine was replaced on Sept 4th, but I was charged £150 for delivery, installation and disposal of the old machine. I paid the £150 so that delivery wouldn't be delayed, then disputed the charge as I assumed that this should have been covered by the warranty. I quoted the Consumer Rights Act, but the manufacturer has verbally replied saying that the charge is valid because the Consumer Rights Act only came into effect on 1st October. If I am not covered by the Consumer Rights Act, would I be covered by whatever it replaced?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
It was under warranty so you didn't need to pay for delivery.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So is the company wrong saying that I am not covered by the Consumer Rights Act? But I am covered by the Sale of Goods Act?

Yes, sale of Goods Act.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.