How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I normaly used to pay my council tax rented flat

This answer was rated:

Hi, i normaly used to pay my council tax for my rented flat directly to my landlord (along with rent and water tax.) A new landlord/co. has now taken charge and requires me to pay my cncl. tax directly to the council. Would any unpaid by prev.landlord owed to cncl. be responsibility of A.prev. landlord B. new landlord or C.myself(i have receipts to show i have paid all up to new landlords arrival). I would also like to know how to check if anything is owed to cncl. Can you help please.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Do you have receipts to show it was direct for Council tax please? Do you have the Council tax account account number?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, yes i have handwritten receipts on headed paper from the old landlord dating back many months for rent, water tax and cncl. tax. i am also aware of the old landlords council tax bill account, and the new landlords .
Ok - then you dont need to worry you would not be liable. You simply speak with the Council and amend the name on the Council Tax bill to you from the date you take over.
Does that help?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, thank you, that`s a load off my mind, neither old nor new landlords have been particularly communicative or informative, so i needed to get things clarified. thank you.