How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50143
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I work private school all the children are issued with

This answer was rated:

I work for a private school all the children are issued with an extras form they tick the extra they want to do ballet an instrument etc the parent then signs saying that they agree with there name and address being given to the appropriate teacher the teacher then invoices the parent direct and receives payment direct the teacher then pays a small amount for the use of the room they teach in
At another school I teach at the school invoices the parent then pays me an agreed amount for teaching I have no contact with the parent
I believe I have a contract with the parent in the first case but in the school says they have the contract with the parent
In the second case I think the school have the contract with the parent
Can you advise
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Away are you hoping to achieve this situation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The first school says they have a contract with the parents and I don't and they can vary it with no consideration to me
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Hello, it really depends on whether the school has intended to work as an agent for your services here and just be an intermediary, rather than have intended for them, to be a party in the contract. I would say that this is the case here as they are just sending the slip to the parents and then passing it on to you, then you are the one who sorts out the rest and invoices the parent and pays the school for the use of their premises. So in the circumstances I would say it certainly appears that the school is just acting like an agent on your behalf and you are using them as an intermediary to facilitate these service, but when it comes to the contract, it is between you and the parent, not the school and the parent. There would still be a contract between you and the school when it comes to using their premises and that is where they can vary the terms but generally when it comes to varying the terms between the parent and what you offer, it should be left for you to resolve. Saying that, the school may refuse to accept your position and still maintain that they are a [party to the contract – unfortunately you cannot prevent them from acting in that way and holding out they are involved in this. If that is the case and they do not back down then the only way to challenge this formally is to take it to court, however you may wish to avoid this as there will be costs and time involved so it would be best to try and resolve this amicably with the school. Of course, the legal option is always there should you need it.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are making life very difficult for me at the moment and I'm looking at a constructive dismissal claim this all helps as they are saying if I make a fus they will stop me using the room