How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34903
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husband and I own a house 50/50. My husband against my

Customer Question

My husband and I own a house 50/50. My husband against my wishes started building works that have effected every room of the house. The house as far as I am concerned the house is inhabitable. I have a son who has severe emotional issues after having brain cancer in 2013. I have asked him several times to suspend contractors coming into the house, to which I have been ignored. I want to know if I have a legal right to stop work people entering my property.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information firstDo you wish to remain married and joint owners with your husband?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hmm, not a question I would have expected. The are in my house now, whether or not I wish to stay married to my husband is of no consequence or is in question today. I just want the contractors out today.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.

While your husband is not there you can insist that they leave and call the police if they do not

However once your husband returns then he can invite them back in and they are allowed to return

This is not a position that is tenable for more than a day - neither the builders nor the Police will tolerate it

That is why I asked about the divorce - because the only way that it can be resolved in the way you wish is

if you have the property within a separation

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details