How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49862
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Been sent some personal poison pen letters and know who it

This answer was rated:

Been sent some personal poison pen letters and know who it is. Can I get a solicitor to send a warning letter just to scare them off
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Yes this is certainly possible, what assistance do you require from us in this respect, bearing in mind we cannot send letters on your behalf as we only provide online assistance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** I want is some basic advice and I can go to my local solicitor to get the letter done. All I want to know is can I send someone who is sending me poison pen letters of a personal nature a "warning letter" to give them a bit of a scare and hopefully stop it before it gets worse. I have proof they are sending the communications and they know I have this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello do you have any idea when you might be able to respond to me. many thanks
Yes you may certainly use a solicitor to send such a letter or send one yourself. If you are the recipient of poison pen letters then that could actually amount to harassment and as the victim you are entirely within your rights to send them a warning letter advising them that such conduct is unwelcome and that future correspondence of the kind may result in you seeking to enforce your rights via other means. This could be by reporting this to the police or taking civil action against them yourself for harassment. As mentioned you can send this letter yourself but if you want to use a solicitor to add a bit more weight to it then you may also do so. Any High Street solicitor should be able to do this for you for a reasonable fee. I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you nearly there. Could you give me some idea of what key words I could use in legal terms or is it purely harassment.
It could be harassment. The relevant legislation that deals with harassment is The Protection from Harassment Act 1997 in civil cases and The Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 in criminal cases. The law states that a person must not pursue a course of conduct which amounts to harassment of another and which he or she knows or ought to know amounts to harassment. Although there is no definition of what specifically amounts to harassment, it would usually include alarming a person or causing them distress and must have occurred on at least two occasions. It could also be a threatening letter under the Malicious Communications Act 1988, which deals with the sending of any article which is indecent or grossly offensive, or which conveys a threat, or which is false, provided there is an intent to cause distress or anxiety to the recipient. You could use reference to the above legislation to make it clear that their conduct is unwelcome and likely unlawful. Hoper this clarifies things for you a bit more?
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you