How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Is a hire company allowed to store your bank card details, I

This answer was rated:

Is a hire company allowed to store your bank card details, I hired a car over a month ago and the fee was paid, when I took the vehicle back they claimed that there was bumper damage, even insinuating that I had hit a kerb in reverse, the bumper on a toyota
avensis is well above the height of a kerb, they said they will send me an estimate for repair, even though the damage was picked up before i took the car out, however, I have not recieved my deposit of £100 back and found that they have taken a further £72.80
from my account last week, and not informed me, I have had no correspondence from them since the car was returned and they started to say I damaged the car, a damage waiver was also taken out as I always do.I have been told that new legislation says they are
not allowed to keep your bank card details, and I always thought they never kept your details, I am even more worried now that if any one hacks into their computer system, my bank details and other customers are at risk
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Yes they are permitted to store your details for 6 years.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you