How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am the claimant in a tenancy deposit dispute. My landlord

This answer was rated:

I am the claimant in a tenancy deposit dispute. My landlord didn't protect the deposit in a scheme and hasn't returned my deposit.
I have pursued the matter myself and have now been awarded judgement for an amount to be decided and costs to be assessed.
The small claims hearing is set to take place but I am unable to attend court as I will be out of the country at the time.
The order states that I need to send to the court and the defendant copies of all the documents I intend to rely upon at the final hearing. It also states that I must bring te original documents to the final hearing.
My questions are:
Do I need to resend all the documents that I originally filed in my statement of case?
Do I need to send in all these original documents as I wont be attending the court?
Should I send any further documents or issue a statement as I am unable to attend?
Do I just let the court know I am unable to attend and let the hearing rely on my original file only?
I look forward to your comments.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this,
You need to provide a witness statement which sets out what happened and when. You then need to refer to and exhibit documents which you want to rely upon. You don't need to send originals as the court will be satisfied with a copy.
You need to send the documents 14 days before the hearing. You also need to notify the court and the utter side that you will not be attending in writing.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Alex

The evidence I wish to rely upon was filed with the court originally, do I need to submit these documents again with my statement. The order says they must be in a bundle, what exactly is a bundle?


A statement at least yes. You should file everything again for the avoidance of doubt.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.