How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My sister has been living with my parents now 2 years.

This answer was rated:

My sister has been living with my parents now for about 2 years. She is 48. She has recently loss her job for drinking while at work( she is an alcoholic ) but has always managed to get another job till now. She has been to the job centre,but says she can't claim any money as my parents are surporting her. They are both well into their 70 and don't have a lot of money or savings. They are only giving her money so she can get the bus etc to job interviews. My mum has carers in 3 times a day to help with my dad who has parkinsons and dementia. I've told my mum not to give her any more money as she spends most of it on drink and fags . My mum is at her wits end and has told my sister she has to leave, but she gets very threating and uses bad behaviour, sometimes you would thing she has a mental problem. What I would like to know is can my mum write to the job centre and explain that they can't afford to keep paying for her,and where would she stand if she throw my sister out.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
I presume she has never paid rent?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She paid rent for the first two months,than nothing. She doesn't give any money at all, no money for bills,food etc. She did give my mum £50 last week,from money they owned her from her former job,but that's it.

How long ago was that now? From the date she last paid rent?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She probably last paid rent about June time 2013. She gave my mum the £50 on the 29 sept this year.

You have two options. The first is to treat her as a guest and just ask her to leave with reasonable notice.
I would not suggest that. I would suggest treating her as a tenant and giving her formal written notice of twenty eight days.
If she doesn't go at the end of notice then you can just wait until she goes out and change the locks after her. You don't need a court order to evict a tenant as she just has a licence to occupy.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your answer. If she doesn't go by the end of the notice,

What happens then. I don't think she will go as she has no money to pay rent,if she is made homeless,will she have to go to the local council.

Well, she probably won't. They often don't.
If that does happen wait until she goes out and change the locks. She is a licencee effective rather than even a tenant.
She is likely to go out in the end. She isn't going to spend the rest of her life hanging around the house. It is sometimes a waiting game but it works in the end.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you