How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1371
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I am separating from my husband which is amicable we have agreed

This answer was rated:

I am separating from my husband which is amicable we have agreed I will b keeping the house we own we are on full agreement on who gets what. Can we have a legal document written up so neither one of us can back out on what we have agreed upon ? We don't want to be spending money on lawyers fees if it's not necessary all though we understand we will need lawyers for the transfer of our home.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
I am glad to hear that both yourself and your husband have agreed in respect of the division of the matrimonial finances.
It is very important that you instruct a Solicitor to represent one of you to draw up a consent order to confirm the agreement you have reached. A task such as this should cost circa £300 - £400.
This is really money well spent.
The consent order should be submitted to the court for its approval at the same time as submitting your application for Decree Absolute. The Court Fee is £50. Once the Court has officially sealed and approved the order (stamped it) then it is legally binding.
You should do divide any assets especially sale proceeds from a property until you have a sealed order. If you do distribute before the order is approved by the court then it is not legally binding and the other party could ask for more.
Consent orders need to be drafted correctly to protect your position for the future. It does therefore remain my advice that you get this done professionally.
You will also both need to complete The Statement of Information Form and submit the completed form with your consent order for approval to the Court. This is Form D81.
Kind Regards
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we are credited for our time
ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you