How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71048
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My son was involved in a n accident, he was riding a 125 scooter

Customer Question

My son was involved in a n accident, he was riding a 125 scooter and a 15 year old pedestrian was riding on the road on a childs scooter in the dark, whist boy tried to put phone in pocket he lost control and fell in path of my son, my son swerved hitting the boys leg, coming off his scooter and damaging his bike to the cost of £1,600 as boy was not insured can we get any help from parents to help pay for my sons bike so we dont have toclaim off ins and loose all no claims and premium go through the roof? Regards sharon_milton
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
This boy was riding in the road I presume?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes 10.30 at night
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
You do have a claim against the boy's parents essentially on the basis of negligence in that they failed to control him. It is fair to say that such a claim is harder to bring with an autonomous young person than with a five-year-old as parents can only be expected to do what is reasonable.
However, if they are unwilling to pay then your only option is to sue at the Small Claims Court. That is fairly easy to do and cheap enough but you will have to do it.
In principle, this shouldn't be any difficulty as this boy was riding on a public road without lights and those actions caused the accident.
Of course, you do face the risk that they will lie through their teeth and bring some counterclaim on the basis of personal injury but that is a risk you face with any action.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How wowuld i go about a claim at small claims court?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Do you have his address?

Don't give it to me but do you have it?