How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6463
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

A car was purchased from a "reputable dealer" £11K.

This answer was rated:

A car was purchased from a "reputable dealer" for some £11K. Within 3 months of purchase, a gearbox fault developed. The dealer was telephoned twice, and on each occasion, a return call was promised. This didn't happen. A letter was written and sent registered post, stating the problem, and because we weren't local to the dealer, the details of the garage to whom the car was being sent for repair. Still no communication from the dealer. The work has been carried out, and I have a letter and copy of the invoice to hand, ready to send to the dealer. The letter asks for monies to be paid to me. My question is ........ on the assumption that no answer is rec'd to this latest letter, do I have a case to take to the County Court, as I am under the impression that there is a statutary three month period, whereby major parts of a car are covered .... engine, and gearbox, irrespective of whether the seller was aware of a fault or not.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
How much was the cost of the repair?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Hi yes under the Sale of Goods and Service Act you have rights against the Dealer if the car was not fit for it's purpose or of satisfactory quality.
You had the right to expect that a major part would not fail within that time.
Send a letter before action by recorded delivery to say that if you are not refunded the amount (enclose a copy of the invoice) within 7 days you will raise a claim. Hopefully this will concentrate the mind of the dealer and he will sort this out.
If he does not you can then lodge a claim at
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Jenny and other Law Specialists are ready to help you