How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Bought a camper an from a company well known in the north east

Customer Question

Bought a camper an from a company well known in the north east of England £6500.00. Got it home would not start next day. Rang the co and they sent out a mechanic, he advised that it needed a good run out as it had been stood for a long time. Took it out at the following weekend only to breakdown two hours from home so needed to call RAC out to start it.
Went back to the co and said as it was not fit for purpose would like money back, they refused saying it's not company policy and I'd we wanted a long three year expensive war so be it.
They have now had the vehicle for two weeks to "fix" it it has been to and electronic expert and their own mechanic and no joy. Their own mechanic stated that he felt sorry for us as it should never have been sold they were only after a quick profit.
To add insult to injury both me and my partner are disabled I am a double below knee amputee bday he has had a series of strokes. As you will apriciate we just want our money back s we will ne'er trust the vehicle
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Was this new or used please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was second hand the company has taken it in as part exchange
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Generally it's hard to claim a refund on used goods. The problem is made worse by the fact you have allowed a repair. If you had rejected the vehicle you may have been stronger but the case is weaker by allowing a repair. But I will outline the process for court for you and a refund:

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.