How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10983
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I have been a guarantor on my nephews tented property

This answer was rated:

I have been a guarantor on my nephews tented property for 8 years but now want to cease due to changes in my financial situation.I have a continuing guarantor agreement with the landlord and the agreement I assume has been automatically renewed after each 12 month term.I have never seen any tenancy agreement either at the start or since but have a opy of a signed guarantor statement.
There have been no issues with my nephew paying the rent and after 8 year I feel enough is now enough can you advise me please,thank you.
1. Here is a link to a free Notice of Termination of a guarantee for you to use in the current situation Essentially, you need to serve a Notice of Termination of the Guarantee upon the landlord so that you bring your obligations under the guarantee to an end. This is the way in which you cease to be guarantee of your nephews obligation under the lease to the landlord.
Buachaill and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks can I just confirm please that this applies to the continuing arrangement not just the expiry of a normal guarantee period, thank you.
3. There is no need for a Notice of Termination of a Guarantee when a normal guarantee period ends. A Notice of Termination of Guarantee is only applicable to a continuing guarantee. So Yes, this does apply to a continuing arrangement.