How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

A wealthy man befriended me and over a period of 14 months

Customer Question

a wealthy man befriended me and over a period of 14 months he kept giving me gifts and buying me clothes although numerous times I said no. In the end I started accepting them because he made me feel stupid for saying no. However recently because he thinks I was rude to him he wants everything back. Whilst I am not averse to returning the items he lay no conditions and even said of the jewellery that I could pass them down. on principle I do not want to return them. I estimate in total the items may be worth 3k altogether. where do I stand?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Did he ever say that the items would be returned should he demand it please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No never. It was just friendship and I told him more than once I can not give him anything in return. He always said he likes spoiling me.

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Ok, then legally if it was a gift or given and no conditions attached you dont need to return anything in law.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can he take me to court over this and what would the likely outcome be?

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
He can try but I dont think he would win.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If it went to court, is it similar to criminal court where people are summoned? This situation has made me very anxious because he is demanding everything back. He stated in an email that I need to pay him or return everything. like I said it is on principle I don't want to.

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
No nothing like criminal court. It would be a small claim in an office.

Does that help?

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.