How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35050
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am well within my rights to stop contact of the other parent

This answer was rated:

I am well within my rights to stop contact of the other parent if he has a drugs issue and is acting irrational in front of our son, aren't I?
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstHow old is the Child and is there a Court Order in place.What has your ex done that gives you cause for concern?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My son is 2 and a half. No court order in place at the moment

I was giving weekly overnight contact to which he was letting him down last minute due to be out drinking, he started getting very abusive and shouting in front of our little boy, wheelspinning his car, went to punch my mums partner with Alfie in my mums partners arms this has been logged with the police. He broke his wrist punching my mums gate infont of Alfie.

Refusing to bring him back on time

Certainly his behaviour raises what are called "safeguarding" issues which do mean that overnight contact is not suitable - and indeed any contact which is not in a safe environment could be a risk.However the law says that a child is entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce it if necessary.rather than refusing ocntact altogether offer contact at a local Contact your ex refuses - fine it is what the Court is likely to Order to start with anyway, but at least you have offered something!I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you , it was just for piece of mind really as my exes mum said a solicitor cannot advise me for him not to have contact. At present my son goes to his grandparents for tea on a Wednesday on the basis that he is in there care and he's not to go anywhere alone with his father until a drugs test is done, but they just seem to be stalling things which leads me to believe he's still doing drugs every weekend

If you trust them contact via the grandparents is a good alternative to the Contact Centre