How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33534
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

Good Evening, Two years ago my partner and I bought a house

This answer was rated:

Good Evening,
Two years ago my partner and I bought a house for 128k, I paid all of the deposit (26k), I also took out a Declaration of Trust stating this which we both signed. We have since broken up and she says she wants her equity out of the house. As I understand it, because I payed the deposit and no other overpayments have been made is she entitled to do this? We have also had the house valued by a surveyor last month and the value is still 128k. I don't want to give my money to her if I don't have to.
Thank you
were you married? Are there children?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, we are not married and have no children
Is your point that there is no equity?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is what my point is. All the equity is in my name as I paid the deposit. The house has also not increased in value. I'm I right in thinking because my ex partner has no equity in the property, she can't can't any equity out of the property.
That is completely right in law - if she has nothing to take out she takes out nothing. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive
ivorylounge and other Law Specialists are ready to help you