How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10734
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My husband died this year. We had on our join name house. I

This answer was rated:

My husband died this year. We had on our join name house. I need to re-mortagage the house. To do so I will need to remove my husbands name from deeds. Would that mean I will need to pay tax because the house will be then on my sole name?

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Please don't worry too much- there won't be any tax for you to pay.

As regards ***** ***** husband's name, this is a very straight forward process, in that all what needs to be done is to send a copy of his death certificate to the Land Registry. Indeed, the Solicitor who acts for you in the re-mortgage can do this for you.

There is no legal need for you to remove his name before you apply to re-mortgage.

However, if you feel you can do it yourself, all you need to do is to submit the death certificate with Form DJP.

Here is the Land Registry link-

I hope this assists but please let me know if you require any clarification.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you