How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33530
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

I am on a low income and have been claiming housing benefit,

This answer was rated:

I am on a low income and have been claiming housing benefit, the local authority have failed to re-assess my benefit from November 2014. Hence I have gone 1444.00 in arrears. My landlord is taken me to court.
The council have ignored and not action-ed any of my 10 letters. Can I put in a smalls claims in the local court against the council for my arrears. They may say the court does not have jurisdiction, is there a point of law I can relay on?
I am afraid that you can not bring a claim against them in the small claims court. The statutory provisions for Housing Benefit are not intended to confer a right to sue for breach of duty to pay benefits. What I would do however is contact your MP and explain to them the position. Normally a letter from the MP will bring immediate action. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
ivorylounge and other Law Specialists are ready to help you