How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33360
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

I need some advice, I'm in the process of buying a first floor

Customer Question

I need some advice, I'm in the process of buying a first floor flat (with a private entrance) and there is a hold up due to the solicitors not being able to agree the marked plans showing the boundaries of what i will actually own.
At present the plans don't show I will own any part of the ground floor (what would be my access to the first floor flat). These plans can't be amended as the land registry people say that the ground floor area is already registered to the people in the ground floor flat.
Do I have to get the downstairs people to amend the drawings with the land registry people? or can i assume i will legally own the small ground floor entrance/stairwell?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 2 years ago.
what is the seller doing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In what context?
The seller and the sellers solicitors disagree and say that the plans don't need to be amended.
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Your solicitor is correct. You will have to get the ground floor flat to amend the drawings which are registered with the Land Registry. This is very important and needs to properly reflect the situation - unless and until it is resolved the solicitor would also I imagine not recommend a mortgage for the property. It will also make it difficult for you to sell the property and as such will need to be resolved. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 2 years ago.

I hope that this helps - please rate positive - thanks