How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71038
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have just been suspended from work after being suspected

This answer was rated:

i have just been suspended from work after being suspected of theft of about £1500 worth of stuff.
I have admitted that I did it to them. but what happens now ?
this is my first time in trouble ever.
will they contact the police?
what will happen?
will I go to prison?
I have the money I can pay back and extra if they want?
I have admitted it to them but should i get a lawyer?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Are you asking about the criminal or your employment situation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the criminal situation.
i cant see them giving me my job back
Was there something you wanted to know in particular?
Obviously I will not know if they will call the police.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well basically what happens if they do ?
what should i do ?
and what kind of punishment am i going to get ?
will i go to jail ?
The police will probably invite you in for interview. They could come and arrest you but it is not likely. It is far less labour intensive for them if you go in.
Unless they are offering a caution you should make a no comment interview.
This is theft from employer which is hugely aggravated because of the breach of trust. Custody is possible even on a first offence. You would probably avoid it because it is a relatively low amount but it is going to be a community order I'm afraid. A fine would be a fantastic deal.
Do no refuse the solicitor you will be offered.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is there anything i should be saying to my employer ?
are they likely to contact the police before telling me ?
fines and community orders ect do the go on my record ?
Not at this stage. I don't know if they are likely to call the police if you repay them.
I wouldn't know whether they will contact the police or whether they will tell you. That is a matter for them that can't be predicted.
Yes, I'm afraid it will give rise to a criminal record.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
and how long will i have that record ?thanks for your time
It depends on the sentence.
It will be on PNC for life.
On enhanced checking it will show for life, on standard it will be stepped down after eleven years and on basic either five or one years depending on the level of the sentence.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The company have offered for me to pay them back for what I have taken.
But It will be done with what he called a community contract ?
What is this ?
He said it was a contract between me and the company of i don't pay it back in the agreed time then they will call the police?
This wouldn't like a good deal time me?
What record will the police hold ? He said it would only be a record held by Suffolk police and would disappear after 11 years ? Is this true ?
Well, that is all very well but that doesn't mean they won't complain even if you do. I had somebody only the other day who proposed to go back on his word. Most employers are reasonable and would not be so dishonest of course but you can't guarantee it.
I've never heard of a community contract and I rather suspect he has made it up.
I think I covered the length of recording above?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so what would you suggest i do ?
they have said they wont press any charges if i pay them back ?
the police will be aware of the situation and will hold a record "but only in suffolk" that will delete itself after 11 years ?
it seems like the best solution.
I wouldn't be working for them i just have to pay them back for the full value of the items taken in the time they specify About 4 months but "this is negotiable" ?
That is really a matter for you.
I think if you need to avoid a criminal record it is probably the best option but you are taking a risk.
As I have said earlier, the record will remain on PNC and on enhanced checking for life but be stepped down from standard after 11 years. That only arises if there is a criminal conviction.