How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3843
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I have a flat in the UK which was being managed by an appalling

This answer was rated:

I have a flat in the UK which was being managed by an appalling agent who is refusing to pay back any part of the deposit after the tenants left. They have just told me that the tenants used the depsoit as the last month's rent but I know for a fact that the bond (deposit) was given back from Newham council to the agent. Please advise what my legal rights are?
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
The agents provide you with a service which you pay them for. They are required to provide that service with reasonable care and skill under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. If they breach this obligation by for example not collecting the rent properly then you have a potential claim for contractual damages for the losses you have suffered.
On this basis you could:
(i) Complain to trading standards; and/or
(ii) Make a county court claim for your losses -
(iii) If they hold funds on your behalf complain to the FCA -
Can you calculate what losses you have actually suffered?
Kind regards
Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you