How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

What can I do if I agree to sell a vehicle to a friend on a

This answer was rated:

what can I do if I agree to sell a vehicle to a friend on a monthly basis with a lump sum at the end,he takes the vehicle, uses it but does not pay anything,he does not respond to phone messages and I have no idea where the vehicle is. I also paid the insurance with him as a named driver. I still have the paperwork and log book.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a payment or delivery back of the vehicle within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not pay or deliver back you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He has moved from his address I know roughly the area he is living but not the exact address

Sadly you need that in order to issue proceedings. If you know his employment or bank details you could get judgment and then freeze his bank account or take earnings from his employer.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As far as I am aware he gave up his job to use the vehicle as an income. I do know where his son is living

You could issue proceedings there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How can I know he will get it and as far as I am aware the house his son lives in was rented by his father and I think it was only short term. Should I take his name off the insurance and can I report it stolen as he never paid for it and is now driving without my permission

It's not stolen though, the police won't do anything as this is a civil dispute. You could take him off the insurance but then you risk the police impounding the vehicle.
You can get it back but there may be a fee to pay the police for storage and towing.
You can't be sure he will get proceedings at his sons address but I am sure he will pick it up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There has been a rumour that I sold him the van and that he is going to take it to Spain, what can I do he does this or has already done it.

If he does again sadly you would need a court order for the money or return of van. You would need to know where he is in Spain.
If you are going to do anything, you need to act quickly.
can I clarify anything else for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, that's all I needed to know thank you for your help

Kindest regards


Sorry it's not better news, but sadly I have a duty to be honest.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.