How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33528
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

Madam We would like to know whether a claim can

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam
We would like to know whether a claim can be made for equity in a property to pay for care costs for an elderly relative.
The property is owned as tenants in common - myself; husband and father in law. Father in law has signed a declaration of trust renouncing all interest in the property as he has made no contribution towards purchase costs. He currently lives in the property with us but we are feeling that he will soon require more care than we can supply.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 2 years ago.
By whom?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
By the government or anyone who may claim fees for care. I hope this makes sense.
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 2 years ago.
It does make sense. Simply renouncing an interest in a house will not always work in preventing the LA from seeking a cost from the home. Property can be placed in a trust which means that it will become a protected asset, that cannot be used to cover care home costs. There are specialist solicitors who can advise you with regard to this so as to protect your interest. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 2 years ago.
Please remember to rate positive