How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33388
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

My commonlaw partner and I have split up..I currently live

Customer Question

Hi, my commonlaw partner and I have split up..I currently live in our home with his 16 year old stepson..he wants to sell the house and I want to stay...the mortgage is in his noted as an interested party...he has moved to London and I pay the mortgage amount to him...I pay all the utility bills and have done for the last 11 I have to sell??? Julie maccarthy
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 2 years ago.
You will need to determine in what share the property is owned between you - it clearly sounds as if you have an interest and there is also the question of caring and maintenance for the stepson. You very clearly have an interest in the property - the value of this should be agreed sooner rather than later. Normally the court would expect the property to be sold if one of you can not afford (after distribution of share) toy keep the property on. I would recommend a solicitor to go through your interest and then to write formally to him setting out your position. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 2 years ago.

I hope that this helps - please rate positve