How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71154
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My boyfriends son stole underwear and other very personal items,

This answer was rated:

My boyfriends son stole underwear and other very personal items, defiling them. Is this a crime? How serious? If I talk to the police will the decision to report it be taken out from my hands to charge him as he is only 15?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
It would amount to theft.
If you report it then the decision will be beyond your control. I'm afraid the police cannot be controlled once a report is made. If you tell them that you don't want him charged they probably won't act at all. If you make a report though then they will want it to be dealt with properly.
It is not particularly serious really but a conviction for them is damaging to a career as it is dishonesty.
That is not to say that you have to put up with it. Families have lots of other means of resolving disputes and punishing unacceptable behaviour then complaining to the police.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The items were defiled sexually, is this more than theft? My concern is if this escalates if not dealt with correctly.

I suppose maybe criminal damage possibly.
You can deal with it as you wish. Actually police involvement is very unlikely to make anything better. It almost never improves juveniles or their conduct. Family intervention is much more successful.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you