How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

Good afternoon, We live in a semi-detached, privately owned

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon,
We live in a semi-detached, privately owned home & have been suffering with noisy, spiteful and now harrassing neighbours (excessively loud music, drums, base, tv) for the past 6 or so years. After my husband and I went over to them one evening trying to talk calmly with them and explaining that this is causing a nuisance & affecting my childrens sleep etc. it seemed to have gotten worse. The lady of the house, which seemed to have developed a grudge against us and our two children, has then since moved on to developing an obsession and I feel we are now moving into harrassment-territory. I have started a log & gathering photographic evidence of for example messages she writes to us on a slate board in their back garden (positioned in such a way you have no choice but to notice it when opening our window or curtains. All these events are making life unbearable and having a very negative effect on our family. I am in desparate need of advice, please can you help. Kind Regards
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
Going to the CAB is very good idea. They will very likely know the local authority's attitude to this sort of nuisance (which local authority is it?).
What sort of things doe she put on this notice board? Have you taken photos of them?
You may well find it hard to get legal aid to help with this case and obviously private legal fees are expensive so a possible route to think about is informing the police about the harassment. Harassment is a crime and a civil wrong. If your neighbour has engaged in conduct on more than one occasion likely to cause you harassment alarm and distress then she may be guilty of the crime of harassment and perhaps the police will get involved. This is something to discuss with the CAB and you might think that involving the police is the nuclear option and you may be reluctant to use it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is Reading Borough Council.
Since june 2015 up till today (she changed the message again today) we have had the following:
"Do you like to copy me LOL!!!" x 4; "Copycat LOL!!!" x 6; "No Screaming!!!" x 3; "NO Screaming Kids!!! X 2; "NO NO Screaming Kids" x 1. I have started taking photos, but didn't think of photographing the firs two messages.
Other things include: Opening their patio doors & turning the stereo system in the living room on at maximum level as soon as we, especially the children go into the back garden; slamming their 2 front doors so hard & multiple times when entering and exiting the house, literally so hard that our house shakes; she stuck a comedy mask on the window at the back of the house, visible when we go out into our garden; she placed two waving Chinese cats on the windowsills at the front and back of the house, facing us; she turns their living room blinds to face our driveway, opened slightly in order to see when we enter and leave our home & when we do enter the house she switches the music and base on at the maximum volume, etc. It is at such a point that I have to fight the urge to have panic attacks at the thought of going home.
Some of that sounds like it could amount to harassment: the noise, the messages and the door slamming especially.
Some local authorities will through their Environmental Health Deartment provide noise meters, but it seems to me that you are taking the right first step here by going to the CAB.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will do, thank you very much
I would be grateful if you could rate my answer. It will not close the question and I will continue to answer subsequent questions.
LondonlawyerJ and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I though I did. I'll try again.