How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33376
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

I live with my same sex partner and have done least 15

This answer was rated:

I live with my same sex partner and have done for a least 15 years we have been together for 20 years no civil parternership or marriage, I do not officially live at the same address I officially live at my mother's address my mail goes to that address, my partner pays all the bills etc. I don't work due to illness but cannot claim benefits, I am totally reliant on my partner, do I have any legal rights if I needed them.
In what context?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do I have any legal claim too any money if we were to separate, as I do not have any but my partner is wealthy.

I am afraid not - unless you have bought a property together or with the intention that the property would be a joint property. In the UK there is no 'maintenance' or 'entitlement' unless you were married or in a civil partnership. Happy to discuss but please rate positive
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Even though I've kept the house looked after the dogs cooked cleaned etc for 15 years, I do have some correspondence with this address on but nothing legal even if I have witnesses to say I've lived here for 15 years Thanks

The key is what conversations you have had - i.e. was the house bought for both of you - was that the joint intention? If not then I am afraid you would not have a claim. Please rate positive - thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


My pleasure - any other questions please come back - can you rate positive - thanks
Please remember to rate positive - thanks
ivorylounge and other Law Specialists are ready to help you