How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12085
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My mum owns half a house with my sister and still has belongings

This answer was rated:

My mum owns half a house with my sister and still has belongings in it. She has moved to supported living accommodation because my sisters husband was harassing my mum and my mum wasn't being looked after properly. Yesterday, we went to pick up a few more of my mum's belongings and my sister has changed the lock so my mum can't get in (she's 83, frail, and in a wheelchair ). I don't think my sister is allowed to block mums access to the house in this way. Can you advise please?
Thank you for your question.
You are right. Your mother has a right of entry to her house or any house that she shares. She can ask for a key. If that is refused she can instruct someone to break in for her if necessary. She does not need a court order. She can't be charged with breaking in to her own house.
I hope that helps.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you