How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71040
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My ex husband is putting derogatory comments on a social media

Customer Question

My ex husband is putting derogatory comments on a social media site which are very upsetting. Can I do anything about it ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What type of thing is he saying?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
General remarks which have not named me - for example - just had a black cloud put over my day by you know who. His girlfriend has put lots of comments on about parents that alienate children etc . (We have just gone through a difficult court case where the family judge reduced his access). There has just been a continuous comments which everyone will know refers to me. Last night he was in a boxing match and said he punched hard because he was thinking of me. Alone the comments do not seem much but it is the continuous nature and the follow on comments by his friends and family. I feel that I can't cope with it any more.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry but he is free to do that. He isn't responsible for the comments of his girlfriend anyway but he is free to update his status of these sites and he is not saying anything untrue or really event abusive. The fact that you do not like these comments do not give you a cause of action against him.
If this is a Facebook and twitter you can always unfriend and unfollow him so you won't see them.
I'm afraid that what you cannot do is create a situation where he can never comment about your interactions. If he is having to go to court for access then I'm afraid it is likely that is going to lead to some form of comment or another and it isn't going to be positive.
I'm very sorry but that is your position.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No - thankyou
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
No problem.
All the best.