How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49827
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

My husband is a director with a civil engenering

This answer was rated:

My husband is a director with a civil engineering company and today was made redundant he has till Thursday to let them know if he will accept there offer, however due to the mid tears holidays we are having a problem getting legal help before Thursday. What can we do as he really need to get a lawyer to look at the offer made we feel we do not want to accept this offer any advice please would be great Marilyn XXXX

Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Has he been offered a settlement agreement?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes he has been offerd a sum off fifteen thousand pounds but only paid till the end off this month with no notice period he has been a director for three and a haf years they also offered £500 towards legal costs thanks
Ok thank you, ***** ***** are looking at a lawyer to look over the agreement and advise whether it should be accepted, or to negotiate with the employer, then unfortunately this is not a service we can provide. We are only an online Q&A service where we can advsie of your general legal rights in this situation. So if a formal offer has been made and it needs going over then that is something you must see a solicitor in person. However, I’m surprised that you have been unable to find someone to assist – this is relatively simple work for employment lawyers so most would be used to doing it and should be able to assist. Have you checked for local lawyers to you via the Law Society’s website:
It does take calling around until you find someone but you should find someone relatively quickly especially as the employer pays for this and it is relatively simple work for them. In the meantime you can advise the employer that you have been unable to seek professional help and in any event any agreement will need to be checked and you need to be advised by a lawyer for it to be valid so they can’t legally proceed with it even if they wanted to and must allow you time to seek legal assistance. That will buy you a bit more time.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
For Ben Jones
Thank you for you help just to say today we did get a lawyer to look at and handel my husbands offer they have came back late today with a higher offer and offered his company car as part off the settlement I think just so we will go away
Marilyn Fisher
Thanks for the update and glad you managed to resolve this. All the best