How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6430
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

I need help with a consumer issue. I tried canceling my

Customer Question

I need help with a consumer issue. I tried canceling my gym membership at LA fitness because the one I've been going to is shutting down in 3 days. They told me I cannot do that and that I still have to pay the rest of my membership which is till the end of April 2016. They basically said my home gym is in Bayswater in London where I signed up and that I have been using that gym but I moved in the end of August and that's why I have been going to a different location, La fitness Picadilly. They said they have absolutely no record for me going there and that I have been using Bayswater which is not true. They also said that that Bayswater is not changing into the different gym (Pure)which is also not true since I just called them and was told they will change into Puregym in December as well. What can I do? I don't want to keep on paying for a gym that I've been going to and will shut down in a couple of days. I would really appreciate it if you can give me any suggestions of how I can cancel my membership.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
When you moved did you ask if you could use an alternative gym to your home gym? Are you allowed to use any gym within LA fitness on your membership?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jenny,

Thank you for your reply. I have a membership that allows me to use all the LA fitness gyms. When I started using the new location I told them I had moved and asked if I can use that one and they said yes. All of the LA fitness gyms are transforming to another gym (Pure) and there isn't another LA fitness gym close to me.

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
So is your local gym transforming to Pure gym? Are they saying that your contract will not be useable with Pure? When are the rest of the gyms transforming?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes LA fitness is transforming to Pure Gym. They will stop the classes I was attending to. They have not said anything about the contract if I can use that with Pure, they didn't offer me that option on the phone either.. Most of the gyms in London have already transformed, the Bayswater one will do that in December even though they told me it won't.

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hi if they are removing your right to use the gym altogether then they cannot hold you to the remainder of the contract.
If you have told them you are moving and have asked to change your 'home' gym then the fact that you could theoretically use an alternative gym makes no difference.
I would suggest that in these circumstances you contact Trading Standards and ask them for a reference number.
You should write to them to say that if your 'home' gym , the one you have moved to has closed then you are entitled to consider the remainder of the contract void.
If they threaten to sue you in breach of contract you can say that they are in breach of contract by failing to provide you with your local gym.
If you have nothing in writing to confirm this then that is a bit of an evidential problem but if you have contacted them to change your address this will assist you in evidencing the matter.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Thank you for your reply. I went on trading standards website but they won't let me make a complaint since LA fitness is not approved code. Where can I make a complaint and to who? How do I get a reference code? I'm confused.

Also, LA fitness is going to be closed completely for 4 months while they transform it..Just called them.

Thank you for your help.

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Normally trading standards is situated within your local authority. If you phone the switch board you can lodge a complaint over the phone and will be given a reference.
If it is going to be closed then the contract is frustrated and you are not liable to pay any monies for the period it is closed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. However, I'm still not able to find any phone number online for trading standards. Do you happen to know where to get the number exactly? There's no number on their homepage

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
There won't be it is based within your local council which depends on where you live / who you pay council tax to. You need the switchboard number for the local council. They will put you through to the relevant trading standards officer.