How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10944
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

My siblings and I are on student tier 4 visas with a Qatari

Customer Question

My siblings and I are on student tier 4 visas with a Qatari passport. Our 5 year old brother has an American passport and we want him to study and live with us in the UK. Does he need a visa and as tier 4 holders is he able to live with us?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. Yes, your 5 year old brother does need a visa to come and study in the UK. However, he must study at an independent school. This means that he cannot attend or study at an academy or a local authority-funded school (also known as a maintained school) or further education college. So, whilst in theory your brother can live with you and attend an independent school as a day pupil, you would have to show that you were over 18 and able to look after him. The relevant visa is a Tier 4 (Child) student visa. Be aware that your parent can apply for a Parent of a Tier 4 (child) Student visa to accompany your 5 year old brother whilst he is in the UK.