How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

A newspaper have printed various stories about my husband that

Customer Question

A newspaper have printed various stories about my husband that are inaccurate and misleading. What can I do about this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What type of stories?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That have said that he was charged with 7 counts of having sex with children under the age of 15 and that he has admitted to abusing two children under the age of 15 in the back of his car. Neither of thes statements are true. That was not the allegation or charge.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
What was the charge?
Has he admitted it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The charge was incitement, he has pleaded guilty to that charge and to arranging child pornography. The newspaper clearly have a transcript of what happened in court last week and in that transcript it will show that both the prosecuting barrister and our defence barrister said quite plainly to the judge that nothing happened. The children didn't perform any sexual acts or indeed have sex with my husband and that no film was ever recorded. The reason he has pleaded guilty to the pornography charge is because we can't prove what he said and there are two girls that have said that he said about filming them and the prosecution wouldn't accept a plea for incitement without a plea for pornography.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
If I am wholly honest, that is all the same sort of thing. I realise it is still wrong but it doesnt really amount to a defamation.
I'm not sure what you are hoping to achieve? You could write to them and ask them to correct it. Often they will as it is wrong.
Whichever you look at this though, he is charged with sexual offences and they do involve children and there has been a guilty plea. The press do regularly get details wrong largely because they don't understand the law.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But the charge isn't haven't sex with these children. Or as stated in the latest story 'abusing' them
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
It is abusing them.
He has pleaded to pornography.
The fact that they don't say he actually had sex with them doesn't change all that much from the point of view of damage to his reputation.