How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33517
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

I used an online company to send a bag.

This answer was rated:

Hi, I used an online company to send a bag. They lost it and were unable to trace it. They told me it was with two different carriers, each of which refused to acknowledge it and claimed they had not seen it, couldn't find it and one hadn't even heard of luggage mule. Is there any recourse here?
what is the value of your loss?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi it had all my winter jackets, work shirts and suits in it. At least £2000 but possibly up to double that. I was also only refunded £50 of the approximately £150 fee.
Well if it is there fault you can bring a claim against them for your losses - you will need to check the terms of the contract with them - but if it their fault you would have a claim through the small claims court for your losses. Your claim would be against the company you entered into the contract with rather than the carriers. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The terms state their loss is limited to £50. But they have also clearly simply lost the bag, have been unable to track it and have given misleading information as to where it is (they thought one provider had it last, but most recently changed that to another). What are my chances in the small claims court, what ballpark costs would it require and can I do it from Australia? I'll be sure to rate positive for the advice. Mike
Mike,If you want to use the small claims court in the UK you would need to provide a UK address. The costs are generally the costs of issuing which depends on the sum you are suing for ( but there is a risk of a hearing if they defend the action and obviously this would take place in the UK. Happy to discuss but please rate positive.
ivorylounge and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I rated positive. How would I go about this? (And finding out whether success is likely?) I can provide a UK address but I would be overseas.
Well the simple fact is that unless the court can deal with the matter without a hearing your case would be stronger if you are in the UK for the final hearing.