How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6463
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

I've bought a car from a seller, he told me that he could get

This answer was rated:

I've bought a car from a seller, he told me that he could get some type of cover that is a one time payment of £4000 so I paid £2000 and promised to pay back the other £2000 and I'm asking for some type of proof like a receipt or a letter just to know that this really exhists but he won't show me until I pay the £2000 I owe; UPDATE: I asked to cancel the cover and just return the money and that I'd find one myself, now he is telling me they don't cancel and I'm getting suspicious that I might have been ripped off, is this possible?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Did you buy it from a dealer or an individual?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
An individual on Ebay
So is the £4000 for the cover or the car? How did you pay and have you received the vehicle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The was sold to me for £9995, it arrived. The £4000 was told to me that it was for the cover and he said it was a one time payment
So the cover is for what? Insurance? How have you paid was it paypal or by a card?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I made the payment of £1500 through my bank account and the other £500 through PayPal, I was told it was a breakdown cover
I am sorry but this does sound like a scam.
£4000 for breakdown cover is excessive in the first place.
You have some protection for the £500 you paid via paypal so you need to notify paypal and also Ebay of the incident.
You also should notify the bank, although if you authorised the transfer there is not much chance that this will be reversed.
You should ask for a full refund. If this is not forthcoming if you are able to get the vendors contact details you should put a money claim in against them for breach of contract.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Alright, do you think I should message them or just file for money claim? The individual is not responding and I feel as though he is ignoring my messages
You need to warn him that you will file a moneyclaim if he does not refund the money within 7 days.
You need his address in order to be able to file the claim and can do so at
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Jenny and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much
No problem. Please do take the time to rate my answer as I am not otherwise credited for my time.
many thanks and all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just one more question, I'm not sure if I have his address, I have a number a bank account just not an address
You need to ask Ebay for assistance with this then. I am not surprised he has not disclosed his address to you. Sadly without an address you will not be able to claim against him.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Now that I think of it he asked for another £1000 for the delivery of the car but never showed me an actual receipt of where the money went, do you have any advice on this situation too?
If you agreed to that price and the car was delivered there will be nothing you can do about it now as the car has been delivered to you.