How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Got stopped .. Had breath test and was over the

Customer Question

Got stopped for speeding.. Had breath test and was over the limit. i have my own business and rely on driving, i am a employer and there jobs are at risk if i can't drive.
Also my kids don't live with me, they are 69 miles away and i only get to see them at weekends, i pick them up from wilts and take them to my home in london. this was all fueled by my ex saying i can't see my kids and i had to see her face to face to have it out with her!! I really don't know what to do..
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Are you asking if you can avoid a ban?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry but it is not. There is no way around it.
What you are describing is an exceptional hardship argument which doesn't form a defence to drink driving. Parliament has set down that the ban is mandatory for all offences of drink driving.
The only way to escape a ban following a conviction is argue that special reasons apply but that considers the circumstances of the offence rather than the circumstances of the offender. Special reasons cover things like people who have driven only a few inches or other limited grounds.
There is no way of sugar coating this I'm afraid.
They will probably offer you the drink driving course which would reduce any ban period by one quarter though.
I'm very sorry but that is your position.
Can I clarify anything for you?