How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33540
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

We have a shop with a flat in the centre of town, the owner

This answer was rated:

We have a shop with a flat in the centre of town, the owner of the adjoining property is systematically trying to damage our property, there is a large crack on there side which is now forcing our back first floor flat wall out causing an ingress of water. We have tried to negociate with the owners, they seem to be skirting around issues and using delaying tactics. We have heard the words compusary purchase mentioned more than once.What can we do about he damage ?
You would need to get a surveyor to come and evaluate the damage and also the blame. You would need the surveyor to state that the damage is being caused by the neighbour and then you can bring a claim against them for compensation. I would also advise your insurers as to the damage to the property as you may be insured to cover such damage. Happy to discuss and please rate positive.
ivorylounge and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

.Thank you for your advice, we have had to re- insure as our insurance became void.The owner of the property adjoining is an associate of the insurance broker. I found this out as my insurance became void because I informed the brokers of the damage caused by the neighbour,Would you get an out of town surveyor if you were us.

In light of your concerns I think I would to be on the safe side and certainly one with a sound reputation. I hope this helps. Please rate positive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will I need a solicitor, when I get the surveyor`s report ? If so, Which type specialist solicitor would you recomend.

You may need a solicitor - I would be looking for one who specialises in property litigation or civil litigation. I hope this helps - please rate positive - thanks