How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6472
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

Just had a new fireplace installed by a professional

Customer Question

Just had a new fireplace installed by a professional company with an inset gas fire
While disposing of rubble bags I noticed the fireplace opening reinforced concrete lintel had been removed presumably to make room for the new fire
I am in dispute with the company who are currently refusing to acknowledge they removed it (I still have the lintel and have sent photo to them) or to confirm they have put in a new one in accordance with building regulations
I have to take this ambiguity as a no and so I feel the structural integrity of my house has been compromised and potentially the personal safety of my family at risk
What rights do I have?
Stephen Wheatley
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Under the Supply of Goods and Services Act you have the right to expect the fitting to have been of satisfactory quality. If you have doubts that this is the case then you are entitled to be reassured that this has occurred otherwise you can bring a claim in the county court.
I would suggest you write to them to say that you are extremely dissatisfied and unless you receive assurances (and proof ) that this work has been done properly you will have no alternative but to take action.
You should say that this will involve the costs of paying a 3rd party to verify that this has been done properly and potentially also the cost of any remedial work. You should say that you will take this action if they do not come up with a satisfactory resolution in the next 7 days.
You may also want to lodge a dispute with your local trading standards, normally within your local authority, who will provide you with a reference number to use in correspondence.
Hopefully that action will concentrate the mind of the supplier and lead to a satisfactory resolution.
If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered you question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wonderful this gives me something I can cut and paste into my letter of complaint! Many thanks....
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
No problem, please do take the time to rate my answer as I am not otherwise credited for my time.
Many thanks and all the best.