How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Can HMRC ask me to disclose my tax information to a 3rd party?

This answer was rated:

Can HMRC ask me to disclose my tax information to a 3rd party?
The situation is, I live with my father who has the same name although I have a middle name and he doesn’t. They sent me a rebate calculation addressed using my full name so, I got that. But the cheque wasn’t address using my middle name. As a result it seems my dad has received the cheque and cached it thinking it was for him – it was address to him in his name.
HMRC have repeatedly asked me to ask him for the money but I regard this a breach of my confidentiality – I would effectively be telling him about my rebate and how much it was.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you
Do you want hmrc to ask him direct?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I feel they should write to my father saying the cheque was sent by mistake and ask him to repay it. Once they are satisfied I didn't chache it, they should send a cheque to me addressed using my full name. I also shouldn't have to wait until they get the money back from my Dad. They are currently checking the account it was paid into. I have already confirmed by phone and letter that I didn't cache it and have given them my bank details.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They did also repeatedly tell me to report it to the police "because it's theft". I told them I have made enquiries with the police who confirmed it can't be reported as a crime because there was no dishonesty involed and I as the would be victim don't believe there has been any crime. I think they now accept this.
Ok. When would be good to call?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.