How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33380
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

My neighbour has erected a six foot fence at the front of

This answer was rated:

my neighbour has erected a six foot fence at the front of their house which is adjacent to a highway-the local council told me that the fence by law could be no more than a meter high and a local enforcement officer visited them and told them it had to be removed-this was six weeks ago.I telephoned the council today and was told that they can leave the fence up-- can you please advise me?

On what basis have the local council agreed for it to stay?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Mr Judge

in the interim since the neighbour was told to take the fence down the fence has been altered on the top of the structure with some curved arches to make it more attractive but the height has stayed the same.

Futher down the road there are six foot fences which the enforcement officer said the neighbour had pointed out but these fences are at the back of properties facing the road,

The enforcement officer gave me no basis for his decision and told me they had now decided to allow the fence and the case is now closed

No neighbours have been consulted and no planning permission has been given.

I see. Clearly the council need to be doing more - particularly as they appear to be saying on thing one day and something else the next. As this is a council issue I would be minded to speak to your local councillor (its free) and get him to resolve the issue with the council (by way of enforcement) on your behalf. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

DearMr Judge

Thank you for your advice. I feel that the enforcement officer has not enforced the law and is therefore failing to do his job.

If I contact my local councillor can I remain anonymous as I don't want to have direct conflict with my neighbour with whom I have a good relationship up to now?

You can. You can ask to remain anonymous. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
ivorylounge and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** take your advice and speak to my local councillor

Best of luck