How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50165
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Can a person claim compensation cheated out of money

This answer was rated:

Can a person claim compensation for being cheated out of money 15 years ago if the person at fault died 8 years ago
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How were you cheated out of the money and who would you be suing now if the person is dead?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My daughter is claiming that her late father made a profit when he renovated and sold a house she owned. I wonder if she could claim compensation from his estate, therefore me.
So is she claiming that he secretly made a profit from the sale and did not tell her about it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes exactly.
From a civil law perspective she would be too late to claim as a claim would have had to be made within 6 years of the alleged actions taking place. If this happened 15 years ago then it is way out of time now. Depending on what happened this could also be a criminal issue in terms of theft or fraud but the police are unlikely to investigate this and take it further if the person has died and there is no personal culpability by someone who is still alive. The main issue would have been the civil claim which is now out of time to be pursued. I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you