How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My son appears to have incurred multiple parking fines which

This answer was rated:

My son appears to have incurred multiple parking fines which he hasn't paid. He lost his job a few months ago and has no permanent address and the penalty charges are still being sent to his home address. He has also been incurring congestion charges which havent been paid although he is "living" in the congestion zone - but has no permanent address. We already bailed him out of a lot of parking fines a few months ago, and cannot keep doing this. He says he has now given the car (probably worth a couple of hundredd pounds at most) to someone else but the registration document is still in his name, and is still incurring penalty charges. He has no assets apart from the car,
What should we do
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Does he live with you please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No - not now. He moved to london for a job . Lost his job, and is now living in temporary accomodation - staying with people etc. He is looking for work,
OK. You dont need to do anything, I assume he has no real assets there.
Its a civil matter so bailiffs may be instructed at some point. They will either write the debt off or catch up with him and get him to make an arrangement to pay.
But he MUST send the V5 back to DVLA to change owner - this is a legal requirement.
Its not your debt - you dont need to worry or do anything about it.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No i dont want to pay more for a telephone call, I agreed to pay £38 if i was satisfied with the advice I recieved.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is all of this a civil matter rather than criminal offence?
Civil yes, nothing criminal, expect for failing to notify the DVLA.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what would be the worst penalty for failing to notify the DVLA
A fine only.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And what does someone do about informing the DVLA of their address - when they have no fixed address?
They need to nominate an address. But he has sold the car, so its no longer his anyway. But he has failed to notify it has been sold/transferred.
Does that help?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.