How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am worried about visiting Japan days. I know that

Customer Question

I am worried about visiting Japan for 20 days. I know that I shall have to write YES to a past criminal record. In August, 1967, I was sentenced to a hospital stay indefinitely for 'carrying a revolver with intent to endanger life.' (It was at the house of en ex-girlfriend. ) They sent me to Broadmoor because I was wrongly diagnosed as schizophrenic: I was a psychopath.
I was released in 1978, and still have the absolute discharge form sent to me in 1987. I have had a completely clean record since 1978. Neither do I need any medication. I am now 80 years old.
I wonder if I should go to the Japanese Embassy in London for advice. I have already booked the flight for next May, and the 4 star hotels too, and for my fiancée too.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
As you know you can enter for 90 days without a visa. There is no sharing of information between the UK and Japan for criminal convictions. Therefore the ONLY way they will find out is if you tell them.
Whilst I can't tell you to lie, if you tick no on the form, there is no way they will find out unless you disclose it. If you are worried then you should apply for a visa. However many thousands of people travel abroad every year with convictions that do not declare them.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: