How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71043
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Please ask Jo to re-contact me as the link was lost - about

This answer was rated:

Please ask Jo to re-contact me as the link was lost - about 10 minutes ago Thank you Peter XXXX

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
How can I help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jo, I have a contract - offer, acceptance, prepared to be legally bound, and a consideration - with a UK, on-line kitchen spares supplier. My order was placed and fully paid for nearly ten months ago. Despite many e-mails and phone calls the goods have not been received. I have written to give them seven days to deliver, but this has been ignored: they sent me a terse e-mail saying that they had, against my wishes, cancelled my order. What are my remedies to enforce the contract and claim compensation and all costs, including legal, as I consider that they are in breach of contract? This is not high value, but an important principle is at stake. I can provide copies of all correspondence. What is your view and advice, please. Regards, Peter
Have they refunded your money?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm afraid you are over estimating the strength of your position.
Clearly, they are in breach. You have a contract with them and they should perform. However, a breach only gives you a claim for the cost of being put into the position you would have been in if the contract had been properly performed. They can do that by returning your money.
They are under an obligation to return anything you have paid them and you do have a claim for that sum plus costs and interests if they have to sue.
You don't have any other claim though. At the very highest point you might have a claim for the difference between this price and the price you have to pay to get this work done but it is not the best I'm afraid.
You cannot force them to perform the contract if they refuse. The only way that can be done is if the goods are so unique that they cannot be obtained elsewhere - that would cover things like contracts for specific animals or antiques.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please could you clarify paragraph three - "you have a claim for that sum plus costs if THEY have to sue"?
I have found the same parts also available on-line at around £30 more than this company have charged me and have suggested that as a gesture of good will they obtain the goods from the other company and send them to me: but they have declined to do this
That should have read if you have to sue.If the difference is only £30 then I wouldn't suggest bringing a claim. That will not go down well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** your advice. Regards, Peter
No problem.
All the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you