How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1439
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I hope this finds you well. I was wondering if

This answer was rated:

I hope this finds you well.
I was wondering if I could get some advice for the below.
My Girlfriend and me are currently in a joint tenancy agreement with one other individual.
I have been living in the flat since 2 years and both my Girlfriend and the other tenant moved in last July.
The individual who is the other tenant was someone I did not know beforehand but found on
The issue that we are having is that this tenant's behaviour has become increasingly hazardous to me and my Girlfriends health and well being, and most recently my property and security.
Before moving in, he mentioned that he sometimes smokes up and if that would be a problem for us.
I need to be very honest here and that’s where I think I did wrong, I told him I don’t mind as long as the window are open.
I don’t smoke weed but do smoke cigarettes so thought I would be ok with that.
It’s come to a point where the flat smells like an ashtray and I am going outside of the house to smoke.
He would not smoke outside as he insisted that I told him from the beginning it’s fine to smoke inside - fair enough.
But the weed situation is getting too much for us because there is not one day he does not smoke at least 1 joint.
It’s gotten to a point that I left the flat the other week and the front desk man of our building made a comment saying “ do you smell weed? I do.. I think I know where it's coming from”.
I did not reply as I knew he was indicating our flat.
Thats really bad and I do not want my flat to be known as a drug hole.
Like I mentioned I lived there for 2 years and set everything up.
Everything in that flat is mine and I have taken care of it and made it very accommodating.
It’s gotten to a point where up until now almost every weekend he has friends come over for a pre part and they do cocaine.
His attitude towards us escalated when we received our last month electricity Bill of 27£ per person. He turned into a complete monster and insulted me personally numbers of times because he thought that amount was obscure.
Sometimes I do not want to go home because I’m scared he will be there.
One time he barged into my room ( not knowing I was in there ) because he thought I left the lights open.
I’m scared to turn the lights on now knowing he might get mad.
I know there are much worse things you have to deal with, but I am at a point that I do not know how to approach or what to do.
It was my mistake from the beginning on regarding the smoking, but this house is not the environment for hard drugs and aggressive people and I want him to move out, but he won’t.
The worst thing we are on a joint contract and I'm not sure there is much I can do.
If things were different we would think about moving out, but because of the amount of work I’ve put into that flat I don’t want to just give up.
Any advice would be so much appreciated.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
I am sorry to hear about the difficulties that you are experiencing with your joint tenant. It sounds like you are in a difficult position.
As he is a Joint Tenant - he is entitled to occupy the property.
You need to consider reporting both his drug use and his attitude towards you and your girlfriend to the police. I understand that in the short term this might serve to heighten 'tensions' but he needs to know you are serious and that you will not tolerate his continued drug use and acting aggressively towards you. The police do have powers to put bail conditions in place so if reporting his behaviour leads to his behaviour towards you becoming worse - the police could exclude him from the property whilst the matter is investigated. If he is charged with an offence or pleads guilty then you should ask the Crown Prosecution Service to put an injunction in place to prevent him contacting you or your girlfriend. The tenant will then not be able to reside in his current tenancy as he would be breaching bail conditions or injunction.
Kind Regards
Positive feedback is gratefully received
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply!What I am most afraid of is that I would not be able to do anything about it or even get in trouble because I did not react to this problem any earlier, as I was aware that this is happening but never flagged it up .The Landlord would be able to evict all of us because of his usage.
There is no easy answer.
Things certainty cannot continue as they are now.
Perhaps speak to your landlord and explain why you haven't spoken up sooner - it takes guts to report someone living in the same household as you. It's not easy reporting someone and then having to live under the same roof as them - hopefully your landlord will be understanding. Adopt the same position with the police and I suspect they will also understand.
Kind Regards
ukfamilysolicitor and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Caroline,I just checked something..Like I mentioned I have been living in my flat for 2 years now and my Girlfriend and the other tenant have just moved in last July.I previously lived with one other person and she moved out before our contract ends ( April 2016). The deposit we had to pay when we both moved in was 1020£ per person and we each had to organise a guarantor.When the tenant swap happened both my Girlfriend and other tenant had to pay her the deposit back directly as the agency only gives back the deposits once the lease ends on the contract date.The Deposit Breakdown:
Me: £1020
Girlfriend: £510
Other Tenant: £510I have lived there the longest, paid more deposit and on top of that I have a guarantor which none of the others have.Is this enough to bring to the agency and mark my name as lead tenant?As lead tenant I would have a stronger word..What do you think?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just double checking if this conversation is still active?
Still active - sorry just had a busy day.
I am however not a specialist in Landlord and Tenant.
I am family law specialist and therefore my area is occupation rights - when there is violence / aggression.
Kind Regards