How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33373
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

I appointed and paid £1,490 to a solicitor in August 2015.

This answer was rated:

I appointed and paid £1,490 to a solicitor in August 2015. I have sent e-mails, made telephone calls to find out how things are progressing, and am hearing nothing back. He appears to be ignoring me and has made ni contact with me. What can I do about it? What is my next step.
Thank you Brenda Marley
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Are you able to go and see him personally?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He originally visited me at my home but I do have an address, which is a few miles from my home
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can visit his office
The starting point is that if you are not receiving letters and they are ignoring your calls then they are not doing their job properly. The starting point would be to contact the complaints partner or senior partner at the firm and raise a complaint. You have a secondary option and that is to raise a complaint with the Legal Ombudsman. He can award compensation. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive
Apologies for the above, I was dealing with your query so please find my answer in more detail. You have a few of options in the circumstances:
1. First of all I would suggest you try and visit the offices in person as that may put a bit more pressure on them to act. It is easy to ignore someone’s calls and letters, but not so easy to ignore them when they are there in person. It also means you could ask to speak to someone more senior and bring this matter to their attention.
2. If you have used up the firm’s internal legal procedure and there has been no satisfactory outcome, you could go to the Legal Ombudsman, the details of which you can find here:
3. If the Legal Ombudsman cannot help or you do not wish to use their services (which are free anyway), you could consider taking the matter to court yourself.
Whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:
a) Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due.
b) Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.
c) If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.
Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
As with anything in law - there is often more than one view with regard to such matters. I simply think that you have waited too long for a response. I see very little point in your turning up unannounced. I would escalate the matter as they are clearly in breach of their retainer. Other than that I see that my colleague agrees with me. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33373
Experience: Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
ivorylounge and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Hello I see you have rated my colleague’s answer, even though the major bulk of the advice was provided by me. Could you please clarify whether you intended to rate his response or mine, it just affects how the credit for the question is apportioned. Many thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry about that. I thought it was an overall rating
No problem, I appreciate the system can be confusing, if you intended to rate mine then please just clarify that on here and we can resolve it at our end. Many thanks
Thank you but we still need clarification on whose response you intended to rate please - many thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ben, I completed the star rating for you . My rating does appear at the top of the page for you. Regards Brenda
Hello Brenda, thank you for clarifying and all the best