How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49779
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I owned a horse year from April 2014 to April 2015.

Customer Question

Hi, I owned a horse for 1 year from April 2014 to April 2015. The lively yard I kept the horse at was paid 120-150 per month for my stable fees no contract was ever signed. From October payments changed from cash in hand to bank transfer. The owner is trying to state that I owe her 850 in fees however I have bank statements to show I made payments every month to the pint the horse was sold. She states that the amount I paid was not enough? What can I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. So she does not dispute that you paid her but claims that what you paid her was not as agreed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it is unclear she states I owe her 850 for a break down of months and the use of her hay however we supplied our own hay and paid the agreed sum?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have my bank statements that show we paid her every month apart from Jan and Feb which we missed but these where paid as extras on April and May
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
The main issue here is what was agreed between you and the livery yard. This does not need to have been in writing and any verbal agreement can suffice too. So it really depends on what the fees that were agreed were and what was included in that. They cannot claim for anything which was not agreed or to change the terms from those which were agreed beforehand. So she must be able to justify why she thinks the amount you paid was not enough and why was it not what was agreed between you. The difficult in that is if there was no evidence in writing and it was all done verbally. So it could make it more difficult for her to claim. In any event, she cannot force you to pay anything unless she takes you to court and wins. I would hope that in the circumstances she would not go that far as she may be lacking in evidence and her claim could be difficult to pursue. I suggest you ask her to provide any evidence she has which shows that you had agreed what she is claiming and make it clear that you are not going to pay anything until such evidence surfaces and it clearly shows that you had not paid what was due. I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.